Social Wellbeing

Social wellbeing affects our overall physical and emotional health. Therefore, you need to address these problems before they affect you physically and emotionally. Here are some advice and support for your social wellbeing.

Elderly Care

If you are elderly or a member of your family is elderly, you are more likely to have social needs. You can refer yourself or a family member to have an adult social care assessment with Milton Keynes Council. (Attach ASCAT form).

For more information and advice on services for older people, including:

  • Bus Card Scheme
  • Care Homes
  • Community Alarm Services
  • Home help
  • Keeping Fit and Healthy
  • Keeping Warm in Winter Service
  • Mobile Meals – Meals on Eheels
  • Safeguarding Adults
  • Sheltered Housing

See these websites:


Housing Conditions

Problems such as damp, mould, excess cold and structural defects can increase the risk of hazards to your health. Therefore you should try to prevent them from occurring or treat them immediately if they are present. The condition of your house whether you own or rent is your responsibility, so remember keep your home in a good condition to prevent things deteriorating.

Useful Websites:


There are many reasons why you might become homeless but there is help.

  • If you are in immediate danger of becoming homeless contact  MK Council Homeless Team
  • If you have nowhere to stay for the night contact YMCA or MK Council Homeless Team.
  • If you have Rent arrears/debt/ financial worries contact the citizens advice bureau on 0844 499 4122 or via their website MK – Citizens Advice.
  • If you live in a council owned property contact the MK Council Rent First Officer.
  • Shelter Housing Aid Centre advises on all housing problems such as:
    • rent and mortgage arrears
    • disrepair
    • finding somewhere to live
    • landlord and tenant disputes (private, council and housing association)
    • relationship breakdown and housing
    • homelessness to name but a few of the problems Shelter can help with.

If you are Unsure of your housing options contact the Housing Options team The Housing options team can:

  • Help clients to keep their existing home
  • Assist with finding private rental property
  • Assist with finding shared ownership property
  • Ensure the client’s chance of finding a home from the housing register is maximised
  • Give advice on the council’s statutory duties
  • Assist in securing safe emergency accommodation according to need, for those forced to leave their home because of domestic violence

For advice on low cost housing visit MK Web.

Domesitc Violence

Domestic abuse/violence may be physical, emotional, verbal, sexual or financial abuse. You are not alone and help is available.

Women’s Aid

Women’s Aid provides advice, information and safe accommodation for women and children escaping domestic violence. You can self-refer or be referred by agencies. Visit Women’s Aid website.


Contact us for: Confidential Advice, Support and Information, Access to emergency accommodation.

Find out more at Safe MK.

Lighthouse Domestic Violence Project

Lighthouse Domestic Violence Project provides information, advice and support for victims of domestic violence, including advice about rights, housing, health and children. It offers support groups and someone to listen. You can self-refer; whilst there is no waiting list, priority will be given to those at risk. Find out more at MK Web.


If you are under stress in your job see our Life and Wellbeing page for more advice and information.

If you are unhappy in your job have you considered a new job or perhaps re-training? See these websites:


If you have a disability, see our disability access page for more information and support.